Who are the women who risk their lives to speak the truth?
RAW in WAR “Refusing To Be Silenced” brings together international women of courage who stand for human rights and justice in war and conflict zones around the world.
This is a platform through which human rights abuses against women and girls can be discussed, and has included previous Anna Politkovskaya Award winners. Our events enable others to hear from these often, ordinary women who find themselves in exceptional circumstances where they decide to rise to the challenge. Our aim is to share their experiences and voices with a wider audience and enable a discussion, which we hope will inspire others to take action in their own communities.
RAW in WAR’s ‘Refusing To Be Silenced’ Event returns to the Women of the World Festival 2017 – WOW at Southbank Centre
Come and join us on Saturday 11th March (13:15-14:15) in the Clore Ballroom of the Royal Festival Hall, Southbank Centre, where we will be joined by courageous women human rights defenders including:
- Jineth Bedoya Lima (Colombian journalist, 2016 Anna Politkovskaya Award winner and 2016 Nobel Peace Prize nominee, who became the voice of the tens of thousand Colombian women and girls who were raped during the 52 year-long civil war);
- Valentina Cherevatenko (2016 special Anna Politkovskaya Award winner, who is facing imprisonment for her human rights and peace-building work in the Russian Federation);
At the event, the 2016 Anna Politkovskaya Award will be presented to Jineth Bedoya Lima and Valentina Cherevatenko.
Speakers and presentation:
- Elena Kudimova – Anna Politkovskaya’s sister;
- Lord Frank Judd – prominent human rights advocate and a Labour peer;
Refusing to be Silenced Discussion:
- Chair: Helena Kennedy – one of Britain’s most distinguished lawyers and human rights advocates;
- Jineth Bedoya Lima – Colombia, 2016 Anna Politkovskaya Award winner;
- Valentina Cheveratenko – Russian Federation, 2016 special Anna Politkovskaya Award winner;
- Elif Shafak – Turkish women’s rights advocate and bestselling author;
- Mariana Katzarova – Founder of Raw in War : Raw for Women and Girl Survivors of War;
The following sessions took place at the Women of the World (WOW Festival) at the Southbank Centre in London.