RAW IN WAR AIMS TO:
- Support women human rights defenders, working in countries in war and conflict, and help end abuse and persecution against them.
- Work directly with women who are active in their communities in order to strengthen and enable thier work on behalf of women and girl victims of conflict.
- Carry out its work in areas of conflict, or "forgotten conflict", where there is limited or no support from the major humanitarian agencies and organisations.
WHO MAKES IT HAPPEN
Mariana Katzarova, is the Founder of RAW. Originally from Bulgaria, she was a founder of the first independent newspaper in Bulgaria in 1989, called “Democracy”. After working for 15 years in the war zones of Bosnia, Kosovo and Chechnya, including 10 years as the researcher on Russia and Chechnya at Amnesty International in London, Mariana founded RAW in 2006.
Nathalie Losekoot is a RAW trustee and the Senior Programme Officer for Europe at Article 19, the international human rights group campaigning for freedom of expression. Previously she worked for Amnesty International and for the Eurasia Foundation in Kyrgyzstan. Nathalie has a particular interest in the CIS region, linking human rights with development.
Friederike Behr is a RAW trustee and a researcher for Amnesty International. based in Moscow. In addition to human rights she is interested in theatre and the arts - especially where the later helps to promote human rights.
Barry Cohen is a trustee of RAW and a journalist and editor covering international financial issues. He previously served as Foreign Editor of the New Statesman and has contributed economic, political and investigative articles to many publications in the UK and abroad. He has also participated in various organisations promoting human rights in Africa and the Middle East.
- RAW in WAR Coordinator
- Alexandra Stiles
- RAW in WAR is grateful to the dedicated team of volunteers who work in many aspects of the organisation:
- Zara Drei: Media Coordinator
- Rivkie Fried: Writer / Editor
- Elena Cook: Interpreter / Translater
- Joy Watkins: Fund for Lana
- Rumen Dimitranov: Graphic Designer
- Elislava Abadzhieva: Film Editor
- Justin Rhodes: Documentary Film Maker
- Dmitry Borko: Film Maker
- Jenny Matthews: Photographer
- Matthew Ford: Photographer
- Ranj McNair: Book Keeper
Previous RAW people:
Nick Williams is a former trustee of RAW and a lawyer in the international NGO sector, currently working as Legal Councel for Amnesty International. He is passionate about international human rights and, having trained as a litigator in the commercial sector, has worked for a number of rights based organisations both in the UK and abroad.
- Laura Maio is a former trustee of RAW
Nerys Lee, after 25 years at Amnesty International as campaigner
and researcher on Western Europe, has been working with Mariana on
developing RAW. She is RAW's Company Secretary.
Louis Greig, is
a former trustee of RAW. He is a stock broker with JP Morgan and a patron of a
number of charitable organizations, including the London Committee of
Human Rights Watch.
Lynel Long, is a former trustee of RAW and
an independent consultant on humanitarian and development issues. After
working at the International Organization for Migration (IOM) and
Amnesty International, she co-founded Women-to-Work, a charity
providing entrepreneurial training and mentoring for survivors of
trafficking and domestic violence.
Marianne Craig, is
a former RAW trustee who runs her own career coaching business. She is the
founder of Mirus, a low-cost coaching project, which brings together
coaches to work with human rights activists and social entrepreneurs.